Monday, May 22, 2006

What's Wrong With These Pictures?

What's wrong? Well I'll tell ya...It's that we're wearing winter coats!

This was the 24th of May weekend! The first weekend of summer. Trailers and cottages are opened for the first time this year, all in anticipation of the coming summer months. Tents and trailers fill the provincial parks and everyone is out for their first official taste of summer! Ahhhh....the 24th of May weekend!

Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell the weatherman that it was ummmm...almost summer! The temperature hovered in the lower double digits during the day (30's and 40's oF) and dropped almost to freezing at night. Both Sunday and Monday mornings we saw bits of s**w flurries but many wouldn't agree. (I think they were in denial and I don't blame them!)

Sharon, Larry and I spent the weekend at their cozy trailer in Muskoka. Rain, sun, snow, hail, nothing can dampen our spirits! We were warm and we had a lot of fun in spite of the weather!

Sunday afternoon Sharon, Joy and I went for a beautiful 2 hour walk and man was the weather funny! I'm sure we put up our umbrellas at least half a dozen times to save being drenched by the rain but between each and every shower the sun came out and shone like there was no tomorrow! We just laughed as we went from downpours to sun over and over during our 2 hour trek.

When I woke around 3:30 this morning I noticed it was a little cool in the trailer but at first didn't think too much about it. One trip out of bed to the little room down the hall quickly told me the propane had run out so I'd better bundle up. Thankfully due to the chilly night Sharon had thrown and extra blanket on my bed on her way to her room. I tell you, at 3:30am I was thankful! I slept until about 8am. (Ahhhh....what a treat!) At 8:00 Larry got up to go outside and switch the propane tanks around. He was able to do so and we quickly got the chill out of the air but it meant a trip into town to fill the tanks on this early holiday morning. Did we all go? Well...ummmm...no. Larry braved the chilly air while Sharon and I enjoyed breakfast in bed! (Hee, hee. Don't tell him!) He arrived home shortly after 9:00, switched the tanks again and we were all set. Thanks Man!!!

After our adventurous start, we decided to brave the elements and weed the gardens. In reality it was a perfect day to be working outside! Not too hot and not too cold. Not a mosquito or black fly to be found and just a gently breeze blowing through the trees to remind us of the beautiful Muskoka woodlands we were surrounded by. No deer sightings this weekend but we're guessing that since we weeded the gardens and left the hostas much more exposed, the deer will be by to feast on them this week while we're back in the city. The MBC deer buffet is open for business!

Sharon and I will head north for the next 3 weekends and brave something far scarier than the weather....3 weekends of ladies retreats at Muskoka Baptist Conference! Oh yah...3 weekends of 300+ women each weekend at a retreat centre is something to pay attention to. The men move far, far away for those 3 weekends as the noise, laughter and talking is just a little too much for them! I'll tell you more about the weekends as they progress. I'll be working in the bookstore and teaching a couple of scrapbooking classes each weekend so am looking forward to some fun times! May and June are busy months but I wouldn't want it any other way! Already looking forward to next weekend's adventures!

The weather forecast for this coming weekend? 27oC which is around 80oF. Oh yah...that's more like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...